Best Duck Hunting Vest: Reviews of Waterfowl Clothing/Wading Shell
Finding the suitable vest for duck hunting is more difficult than it seems. With an endless collection of new gear being restocked on shop shelves and hangers every day, it’s hard to tell which one is best for you.
Don’t fret — with our list, you won’t just find the best duck hunting vest, you’ll the most reliable one that will keep you company for many adventures to come.
After several days of shuffling through feedback from consumers all over the world, we’ve compiled this master list of the 5 most positively reviewed vests.
5 Best Duck Hunting Vest Reviews
- 1 5 Best Duck Hunting Vest Reviews
- 2 Buying Guide for Best Duck Hunting Vest
Whether you’re going duck hunting, fishing, or exploring, you deserve a vest that will make the experience easier for you without spending a fortune. That’s why we’ve kept the budget range reasonable for this list.
Check out the reviews in the lower section.
Drake Waterfowl Men’s Silencer Fleece
With its multi-season versatility and durability, this vest is made of the finest material that makes it of use in any outdoor activity.
Unlike most hunting vests, this one won’t give your presence away. Its fabric is soft enough for you to explore with ease. And, its odor absorbent technology will keep your scent away from your target’s senses.
While out and about, this vest’s polyester material keeps you comfortable and warm.
With pockets on both the chest and sides for your hands or extra storage, you can carry your ammo, phone, or even a small water bottle while you’re in the wilderness.
- Odor absorbent technology for waterfowl hunters
- Vertical pockets with magnetic openings
- Zipper pockets on front and sides
- Polyester microfiber interlock fabric
- Odor-resistant technology keeps prey from detecting scent and fleeing
- Fabric makes little to no sound for maximum stealthiest
- Durable material for extensive and multi-season use
- Will not be worn out very quickly
- Can keep different hunting gear and small clothing in the pockets
- Offer better-wet weather shield
- Extra pockets for added storage and keeping hands warm
- The collar may be tight around the neck for some users
Drake Waterfowl Men’s Hunting Heather
Simply styled with minimal details, this vest may seem regular at first glance, but its features are out of the ordinary.
The knitted polyester material makes it the best waterfowl vest for easy and quick movement with little to no sound.
It’s also lightweight without being too flimsy. This means, you can trek for hours in any waterfowl hunting on end and snag it on multiple branches, and it still won’t lose its quality.
With its multifunctional abilities, this vest can be used in any duck season for any activity or occasion. Especially when it’s a cold or windy environment, in which this vest the added protection will help you to stay warm and protected from harsh winds with its windproof material.
- Simple and minimalist design with durable fabric
- Elastic waistband and knitted polyester material
- Vertical magnetic four-pockets on the chest and side
- Perfect clothing for wading on the lake for the hunters
- Zip up pockets on both chest and sides for added storage
- Windproof barrier layer
- Can be used in any duck season, especially cold or windy times
- Lightweight and yet good in quality for hunting birds
- Useful for multiple purposes, including duck hunting, camping, or fishing
- Extra storage provided by multiple pockets for ammo or other necessities
- Makes little to no sound when moving around targets
- Tight fit around the torso for some wearers
SITKA Men’s Hunting Dakota Vest
This camo-printed vest will not only keep you out of sight of your target but make sure you feel comfortable while hunting.
When in wet and cold environments, it can get tricky to maneuver your way through the location. Luckily with this vest, its water-resistant layer will keep everything from getting entirely soaked.
Also, it comes with wind-stopper technology, so you won’t have to worry about bringing an extra layer of clothes to help to stay warm. Paired with good boots for duck and waterfowl, you will have the best assistance in muddy areas.
Want to carry as few hunting gears as possible while you’re in action? You can cut down on the baggage with this vest and its added pockets.
Zip-up pockets are located on both the chest and sides to not only help you carry necessities, like bullets, duck hunting headlamps, gloves, etc but keep your hands from getting cold.
So, if you’re in search of the best Sitka jacket for duck hunting, your digging just ends here.
- Camo patterned print from front to back
- Water-resistant layer and better outside built
- Can keep Ammos of guns in the pockets to hunt ducks
- The comfort of this vest will bring the best hunter out of you
- Wind-stopper technology helps to stay warm
- Better alternative for duck hunting jacket
- Zip up hand-warmer pockets on chest and sides
- Durable clothing in many types of weather, especially humid, windy, or cold
- The water-resistant layer protects from light precipitation
- Best vest to use when you are duck hunting with a dog
- Windproof barrier shields user from harsh winds and keeps inside warm
- More storage from extra pockets on front and sides
- The central zipper is hard to undo in one pull
SITKA Women’s Hunting Gore-Tex Dakota Vest
Quality hunting gear for women is a hassle to find, and most huntresses just settle for the unisex options. That’s why Sitka has included this vest, made particularly for women, in their collection of durable duck hunting vests.
What makes this stand out in many companies is the Goretex technology and the comfort of wearing it for a longer period. The flexibility will ensure better hunting conditions than other users with this excellent duck hunting vest.
The durability of this vest goes a long way. Its wind-stopper technology and weather-resistant layer combined to provide maximum protection from unexpected weather.
When you compare the SITKA gore-tex vest with the Drakes model, you will feel a bit weight. This is because the manufacturer has designed this one for better stock protection from the weather. The outside shell is built to handle roughness and using it for a bit of time, you will see not much tearing and signs of change in the fabric.
Plus, it’s also comfortable and warm with added protection, making it a great choice for windy or cold days. In addition, it also has abrasion-resistant material which gives it optimum reliability.
So, not only does this vest protect activities, but makes sure you can use it again and again with the same user experience. These qualities combined make this vest the best waterfowl life jacket for women.
- Pale blue lining with neutral-toned camo print
- Abrasion-resistant polyester material helps to stay warm
- Wind-stopper technology works in both dry and wet weather
- Water-resistant barrier design for plenty of protection
- Pockets on the front and sides
- Great for any hunting occasion, especially in cold weather
- Excellent durability and long term performance
- Provide the hunters flexibility and warmth
- Wind-stopper technology, abrasion, and water-resistant material
- Extra drop pocket linings for easy and convenient on-the-go storage
- The inside gets too warm during hot seasons
Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 Fleece
Saving the best for last, this vest is not only the perfect mix of colors for almost any dim environment, but the advantages are just as impressive.
The different shades of sage, forest, and pale green combined make an almost unrecognizable pattern when positioned in front of greenery. This means it’s a brilliant choice for hunting in places where there are a lot of plants or trees.
Plus, the material is soft enough to provide optimum stealth to the user. How? While you’re moving about, the vest will make minimum to no noise to keep your movements out of your target’s senses.
However, just because it’s soft doesn’t mean it’s flimsy. In fact, the material is damage-resistant and very durable during hunting activities. This means you can use it over and over without worrying about its long-term performance.
- A mix of different greens, camo patterned print
- Damage resistant, durable, and breathable material
- 3-inch drop tail back hem length and safety harness strap opening
- Zipper pockets on chest and sides
- Can be used for any hunting activity in any season, especially cold or windy
- Excellent camouflage ability with a mix of various green pattern
- Comes with velcro straps which helps in waterfowl hunting
- Soft and breathable fabric that doesn’t wear out easily
- Reliable, great long term performance makes it useful for future adventures
- Central zipper can get stuck at times
- Do not comes with an adjustable hood
Buying Guide for Best Duck Hunting Vest
Now that we’ve walked you through our top favorites for the best duck hunting life vest, one particular vest may be lingering on your mind.
And while you can definitely make a go for it and get whichever product caught your attention most from our list, there are a few things you should keep in mind before making the final purchase.
Here’s a couple of points you should remember:
Performance for Waterfowl Hunters
When you’re out in the wilderness, all your senses are heightened. And stress is a major obstacle in this situation. A poorly performing vest will make situations harder for you. Whether it be a jammed zipper or shallow pocket, it will add to the mess.
So, you will need a vest that cuts down on all these issues when you are going for the hunt.
Look for a vest that makes as minimal noise as possible. The flashy plastic jackets may look appealing, but their squeaky and swishy sounds will scare away your target in waterfowl hunting.
Instead, opt for a vest with soft yet durable material like polyester, which will make sure your presence isn’t given away.
Another factor that adds to performance is odor resistance. Most brands won’t advertise it bluntly, but if you know which material the vest is, you can figure out if it’s odor resistant.
It’s important that while you’re hunting, your scent isn’t given away. This is because some animals can smell you, even though they can’t hear or see you. Eventually, this will scare your prey away.
We recommend opting for a polyester vest to minimize odors and smells.
Fit for Lower and Upper Body
Comfort is a must when it comes to hunting gear. You’re going to be out in the wilderness for who knows how long, it’s only reasonable that you should be comfortable while you’re doing it.
The vest you choose must be well-fitting and easy to wear. If you find that your vest is too tight of a fit or just plain uncomfortable, it’s not for you. And you shouldn’t just settle for it.
If your vest is tight or uncomfortable, it’s going to irritate you, even more, when you’re in action. In fact, it may even distract you from capturing your target or slow you down while you’re after it.
That’s why you should see which material is best for you. Although we recommend polyester for everyone, it’s better if you make the choice yourself. Choose a vest that’s breathable, easy to move around in, and is comfortable to wear in the weather of your chosen area.
Is it Completely Waterproof?
You need to see if the fabric and feature of the vest make it completely waterproof or partially. If you are hunting in the swamp and wet areas, waterproofing can come really handy.
But with waterproof options, you have to consider the waterproof-breathable options. Cause breathability becomes hard for waterproof fabric. So, choose between the two that help you with the proper quality of experience in any country, whether for waders or jackets.
What is the Weight?
Weight can be a burden for a waterfowl hunter.
Warmth of Waterfowl Hunting Clothing
If you’re in a cold or windy location, warmth is key for any waterfowl hunting clothing. This is because you need to make sure your body temperature is at a constant and comfortable level while you’re inactivity.
Chances are, if you’re too cold, you might move around too much or get too distracted while you’re around your target. And if this happens, it will surely catch your prey’s attention and send it running away from you.
Plus, if it’s too warm inside your vest, it will cause an increased amount of odor to emit from you, which will also distract your target. So, opt for a vest that will not only keep you warm but will give you enough stealth while hunting.
What Camo is Best for Duck Hunting?
Camo patterns come in all sorts of variations, so there’s no universal pattern that you can use for all purposes. Depending on which environment you’re hunting in, you should base your vest’s pattern on.
First, you need to have a clear idea of the main colors of the location of your choice. And also the time of day you’re going to be hunting at. So, for example, if you’re hunting in a sunny area at noon, you’re going to need bright or pale-colored greens in your camo pattern.
If you’re still indecisive on which kind of camo to get, you can try ASAT.
What is the Warmest Waterfowl Jacket?
The warmest waterfowl jackets are the ones that have multiple breathable layers stacked on top of each other. The first layer, or the inner layer, is an insulating material. This means it keeps all your body warmth inside the jacket and prevents it from escaping.
Materials between the inner and outer layers can be anything, as long as they allow sufficient airflow and low sound emittance. The outer layer should have a water-resistant or windproof barrier. This will stop harsh winds from chilling the inside and water from soaking the vest.
From our list, the warmest options for hunting vests are the Drake Waterfowl Men’s Silencer Fleece and SITKA Men’s Hunting Dakota Vest. There are many other options and companies like Columbia, Naturehike, Rei, who are making duck hunting waders, jackets. You can check them out too.
Can Ducks See Camo?
Unlike humans, ducks can’t recognize colors or patterns very well to differentiate between the variations. In fact, they just see random shapes and colors, and most of the time, choose to ignore them. However, this does not mean any type of camo will fool them.
Wearing camo patterns with colors that are visibly different from the environment of the ducks you’re targeting will give away your presence. Along with excess movement, noise, and in some rare cases, even odor. For better stealth, you should also select camo duck hunting waders, and camo hunting lights.
So, make sure to wear camo that actually blends you into the environment and will keep you out of the duck’s senses.
That puts an end to our top picks for the best duck and waterfowl hunting vest. After surveying consumers, and looking through their reviews for hours on end, we hope we’ve provided you with a helpful and informative list.
Just to wrap things up, remember to keep our tips in mind while making your pick. Although you can rest assured by randomly picking one of the products off our list, you should also have a say in what’s best for you. That way, you’ll end up with not only a satisfactory vest but a personalized one too.
Have a last look through our advice section before you take off!