Best Ultralight Spinning Reel 2018 Review and Guide
In last few years, the ultralight spinning reels have grown popular for its lightweight and portability features. With so many companies now producing fishing reels for growing popularity, it can be difficult to choose the best ultralight spinning reel for your need. Especially the advertising content can deceive you to pick the one that might not fit your fishing style.
There are so many other websites based on a spinning reel. Most of them are useless and disappoint you. They contain no real information. You probably went through those pages and now came to this page. Well, let me assure you that you won’t be disappointed.
You are on the right page. I will be discussing top 7 of the best spinning reels below. Stick with me.
First, Check out and compare the top reels here
Top7 Best Ultralight Spinning Reel
- 1 Top7 Best Ultralight Spinning Reel
- 1.1 Okuma Fishing Tackle
- 1.3 Shimano CI4+ FA Spinning Reel
- 1.5 Shimano Sedona 1000FE Spinning Reel
- 1.7 Abu Garcia Orra SX10 Spinning Reel
- 1.9 Shimano Sedona 1000FD Spinning Reel
- 1.10 Conclusion
- 1.11 Pflueger President Spinning Reel
- 1.12 Okuma RTX30S Lightweight Spinning Reel
The ultralight fishing reels are made of carbon fiber and magnesium and provide a lot of features into a lightweight package. And thus it is becoming a go-to option for fishing backpacker.
But one needs to find the Best Ultralight Spinning Reel for having the best fishing experience. Like picking the top spincast reel, choosing the right ultralight reels can be bit difficult.
To reduce the hassle our experts of fishing has picked the top spinning reels on the market and provided them with a description that will guide you through choosing your perfect match.
Okuma Fishing Tackle
- Light weight C-40X carbon frame, side plate and rotor
- Multi-disc Carbonite drag system
- 9HPB + 1RB corrosion-resistant stainless steel ball bearings
This is the moderate version of its previous version. The company re-engineered it with some cosmetic improvement but the internal stuff remained pretty much the same. Also, it seals drag surfacing a little rubber gasket in there which is nice with all the splashing that we kind of cleared it in our kayaks. It’s a very smooth reel with leaving the carbon fiber side.
The design of this spinning reel is impressive. It has a carbon composite frame which is very lightweight.
This reel comes with nine high-performance bearing (HPB) as well as an anti-reverse roller bearing to assure a great casting and retrieving ability. These bearings are made of corrosion resistant stainless steel.
The line capacity of Helios HX-25 is incredible. So, this reel can spool up to 200yds of 6lb test. Moreover, the computer weight balanced rotor and AlumiLite alloy gear system manage the line really well. The AlumiLite alloy main gear and the oscillating gears provide smooth oscillation.
The handle of this spinning reel comes with EVA grip. And the EVA grip is one of the best grips in this business.
Also, the multi-disc Carbonite drag system features carbon washers to put continuous pressure on the catch. The gear ratio of this spincast reel is 5.0:1.
Okuma Helios HX-25 may be a bit expensive. But nothing good comes in cheap. This particular spincast reel is worth every penny you pay for it.
- The main gear is made of AlumiLite alloy
- The Okuma is a reputable brand
- Comes with 9 balls bearing for smooth performance
- 0:1 gear ratio is excellent for proper fishing
- Comes in great quality according to its price
- It has a premium and stylish design
- The Multi-disc drag system makes fishing easier
- Maximum drag is lower than one can expect at this price
It’s a very smooth reel with leaving the carbon fiber on both sides. The bail, spool, and handle are constructed with a double anodized aluminum. So, you can use this device without much of a problem for a long time.
I like this kind of grip on my fingers it was pretty comfortable for me. This reel comes with a watertight seal as a safeguard to protect the internal parts of the reel. It weighs only 6.8 ounces. So, if you are looking for the top class ultralight spinning reel, then I suggest you give this reel a go.
Shimano CI4+ FA Spinning Reel
- Gear ratio: 6.0:1, Weight: 6.70 ounce
- Mono Line capacity lbs/yds: 6/230, 8/170, 10/140
- PowerPro line capacity lbs/yds: 10/200, 20/140, 40/105
The one thing of Shimano’s reel we found rather lacking is the comfort due to the weight. But the to the ultralight fishing reels, the manufacturer makes huge improvement. The lightweight feels of this fishing reel won’t let your hands get fatigued.
Also, the lightweight quality and the reinforced carbon fishing reel will allow you to fish for a long time. The CI4 indicates the 4 electrons of a carbon atom. Shimano CI4 carbon atom fishing reel is lighter and stronger.
You do a lot of fishing? Cannot find a good fishing reel for heavy use?
Shimano CI4+ FA spinning reel is the perfect match for you. The heavy-duty construction allows you to fish a lot and this reel will hold up to heavy use during intense fishing sessions. Trout fishing of this reel is also very satisfying due to its durable feature. So, it can easily be the best ultralight spinning reel for trout.
The carbon fiber construction assures that rust won’t touch the fishing reel. You don’t have to worry about your reel getting this reel wet during the fishing period. The handle grip is rounder and it is easier and comfortable for longer use.
This fishing reel comes for both right and left-hand use. The price of this spinning reel is also a bit higher than other spinning reels. Once again I’ve to say that nothing good comes in cheap.
- The durability of this ultralight reel makes is usable for a long time
- Comes with a lighter weight despite its quality
- The water resistance of the core protect Technology is better than most
- Comes in a sturdy carbon fiber construction for heavy usage
- The design looks premium and stylish
- Fishing with this is really comfortable for all kinds of anglers
- Not much to complain about except the price
I have been using this Shimano CI4+ FA Spinning Reel for a bit of time and already it is on my favorite list. Using this reel makes angling a lot much easy and comfortable. The price may seem little more than the budget of the anglers, but the quality of this Shimano reel will surely convince you.
This spinning reel is really versatile. Therefore, you can use it in both freshwater and saltwater. It opens up a large territory of fishing for you. You can fish in lakes, ponds, rivers and even an ocean.
The overall use and quality make it I suggest this high-quality reel for the fishing enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit for quality and comfort.
Shimano Sedona 1000FE Spinning Reel
- Double anodized machine cut spool
- Increased line capacity
- Aluminum cold-forged spool for added strength
This reel is extremely durable and sturdy. This reel comes with double anodized machine cut spool that keeps the body compact. So, it can land a large fish easily.
Moreover, the carbon composite body with golden anodized spool makes this reel look beautiful.
The 3+1 gear system of Sedona 1000FE makes the cast and retrieval smooth. It contains 3 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing in it. The shields on both sides of the bearings don’t let salt and sand interfere with rotation.
The gear ratio for this particular Sedona model is 5.0:1.
The adjustable drag capacity is up to 7lb. It has a wide range of adjustment. The anti-reverse bearing helps to prevent back play to avoid losing any fish.
The PowerPro line capacity is 10/95; 15/85; 20/65. It has 24” line retrieval capacity. This spinning reel can spool 140 yards of 4lb test monofilament during fishing. So, fishing trout can be without any trouble in this spinning reel.
The line management of this reel is excellent like most of the Sedona reels. The propulsion line management system comes with an updated propulsion spool lip design to expand the casting distances and avoid backlashes and wind knots.
The price of this spinning reel is affordable comparing the other reels those provides these features.
- Comes with user-friendly design to hold the reel for longer time comfortably
- The reel comes in a considerably lighter weight with compact size
- The line management system is simple and makes using the reel easier
- Comes with a sturdy construction for long-term usage
- Overall reel design is stylish and attractive
- The 5.0:1 ratio is very smooth for fishing different fishes
- Offer less ball bearing than most another reel in this price range
It is one of the best trout spinning reels for its excellent drag system. The smooth fishing and drag system will let you enjoy every bit of your outing with gears. Also, managing reel line is a bit of on easier side with Shimano Sedona 1000FE Spinning Reel.
Looking at the built quality and features, I can surely entrust this for my day to day fishing. So, if you are looking for
Abu Garcia Orra SX10 Spinning Reel
You might be wondering why this reel has become my personal favorite.
It’s because of its versatility and flexibility. What if you can carry this lightweight reel and still can manage to catch bigger fishes? It’s possible in this Abu Garcia Orra SX10 ultralight reel.
This particular reel weighs 8.10 ounces. The weight of this reel is between moderate and ultralight reel weights. But this weight is the reason for the power of this reel. This weight is necessary to catch larger fishes. You can easily go for large trout or panfish species.
The carbon fiber drag system works extremely smooth. The drag capacity of this reel is up to 10 lbs. Also, the drag takes a bit start-up pressure to secure the light lines for ultralight fishing.
The gear ratio for this reel is 5.8:1. It has an excellent line capacity with 26.5 inches line retrieval speed. Therefore, you can retrieve the fish easily and quickly with this fishing reel.
This fishing reel contains total 9 corrosion-resistant ball bearings. 8 of them is High-Performance Bearing (HPB) and another one is an anti-reverse roller bearing.
Most of the Abu Garcia Reels uses IM-C6 body design. The Orra SX10 is no exception. It used this IM-C6 body design for making this reel lightweight and sturdy at the same time. The bail, spool, and handle are all made of machined aluminum.
The spooling capacity of this fishing reel is 140 yards of 4lb test monofilament. This Abu Garcia model is packed with strong features and delivers you the highest performance.
- Comes with excellent power to drag bigger fishes up to 10 lbs
- The gear ratio of 5.8:1 works perfectly with 26.5 inches’ line retrieval speed
- The IM-C6 body design is the reason for its lightness despite the durability
- Machined aluminum spool and bail provide smooth and comfortable fishing
- Comfortable and simple use facility will make fishing enjoyable
- Doesn’t come with a manual with products
So, what is the specialty of the Abu Garcia Orra SX10 Light spinning reel?
I like the way I can use this reel to drag bigger fishes than I can do in most other ultralight spinning reel. The gear ratio and the mechanism work effectively to make it simple smooth and comfortable.
The tough built quality will ensure long-term hassle-free uses with being lighter in weight. So, if you are looking for a bit of versatility along with comfort, then I will suggest this reel without any concerns.
Shimano Sedona 1000FD Spinning Reel
- With its updated design and cold forged HAGANE gears, the Shimano Sedona spinning reel offers a number of significant performance upgrades at an affordable value
- Incorporates Shimano's flagship HAGANE gearing that provides long-lasting, strong, and durable performance and smoothness giving anglers the strength for both inshore and offshore action
- Features double-anodized machine-cut spools for increased line capacity while keeping the body compact
This Shimano model weighs 7.7 ounces. It makes this reel to catch larger fishes with ease. This reel is so lightweight that it doesn’t let your hands catch fatigue.
This reel is extremely sturdy and durable. The spool is double-anodized machine-cut and it keeps the body compact. It has an increased line capacity. Also, the Propulsion Line Management System of this spinning reel comes with updated propulsion spool lip design to increase the casting length and avoid the backlashes and wind knots.
Adding to the durability the Shimano model includes a one-way roller bearing to remove back play and provides the power for instant hook-setting.
This reel is free from retrieving vibration using the Dyna-Balance Technology. This technology counterbalances the rotor for vibration free retrieval. It increases the sensitivity and smoothness of the reel.
This particular Shimano model features CF cold-forged aluminum spool that adds durability. The line remains tightly wrapped around the spool. The credit goes to the Grooved Power Roller. It also minimizes the twisting and looping.
The shields on both sides of the S A-RB® bearings prevent salt and sand interfering while rotating. This reel includes 4 bearings. 3 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing.
The gear ratio for this reel is 5.0:1. It has an excellent line capacity with 24 inches line retrieval speed.
The Monofilament Line Capacity is 2/270; 4/140; 6/110. The PowerPro Line Capacity is 10/95; 15/85; 20/65.
The drag system of this spinning reel is adjustable. The maximum drag capacity of this reel is up to 7lb.
- The reel is sturdy for heavy use during sports fishing
- The CF cold-forged aluminum spool makes it tougher for longer use
- 0:1 gear ratio of this reel will provide better drag speed
- Comfortable reel for using in hand with ease and comfort
- Dyna-Balance Technology makes it free from annoying vibrations
- Come with decent Line Capacity of 10/95; 15/85; 20/65
- Bail of the reel may seem little hard to close at first for some users
For the newbies, who are looking for a comfortable and simple reel to start with, can easily pick the Shimano Sedona reel. The smart features will help you throughout your learning about fishing and will boost confidence for being a better angler. On the other hand, it has some excellent features and comfort factors to be loved among the professional anglers as well.
We liked its tough construction quality along with easy to use features. If you buy this one, you will not be disappointed.
Pflueger President Spinning Reel
- 10 bearing System - corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Graphite body and rotor - lightweight graphite reel construction.Braid ready spool - allows Braid to be tied directly to spool
- Sealed Drag System - Sealed drag washers, always lubricated, always smooth.Slow oscillation gearing - improves line lay and minimizes line twist
The design was really awesome. It comes with blue graphite body that makes this reel look beautiful. Also, other spectacular parts are the drag adjustment knob with the silver rotor and gold trim spool.
The spool is made of aluminum. It comes with machined ported and double anodized braid. Also, the line capacity of this reel is 180 yards of 4lb test braid.
This particular Pflueger model comes with 6lb max drag capacity. The multi-disc drag system of this reel is adjustable. Moreover, the drag is constructed and maintained with stainless steel washers.
This Pflueger President 6920 model features smooth gear motion and retrieval capability. Where most Pflueger president reel actually come with ten ball bearings This Pflueger 6720 model is going to have nine and this is the micro which is an ultra-light reel. The on/off immediate anti-reverse roller bearing comes really handy during fishing.
It also comes with s the one-way clutch instant anti-reverse graphite body and a ported long cast aluminum spool with titanium lip short click bail moving them to handle. The aluminum spool, handle, rotor and ball wire made this reel really sturdy and durable. Moreover, the carbon fiber composite side plates made this reel ultralight. So, it can be a very comfortable fishing reel for you.
The gear ratio for this particular reel is 5.2:1. It has an excellent line capacity with 20.7 inches line retrieval speed.
The soft-grip knob on the handle made this reel to handle with comfort.
- The smooth fishing experience of this spinning reel will blow mind away
- Very light in weight and comfortable to hold for long uses
- The aluminum spool makes the reel durable in heavy uses
- 2:1 Gear Ratio provides 20.7 inches’ line retrieval speed
- Comes with an excellent with blue graphite body
- Titanium lip short click bail makes dragging smooth and easy
- May not be as durable as other weightier reels
- Line retrieval speed and drag pressure are mediocre
If you are looking for comfort more than the ability of drag power, then Pflueger President Spinning Reel is a perfect choice. The smooth mechanism works perfectly to make your fishing experience comfortable and simple.
Although, the compact size and the lighter weight may suggest differently, the built quality is really durable for decent uses. Pflueger President Spinning Reel is made for excellent user experience, while the drag capacity and durability may be less than some people would expect.
Okuma RTX30S Lightweight Spinning Reel
- Made of highest quality material
- Manufacturer: Okuma
- Okuma rtx spin reel 7+1bb 6.0:1 6lb/200Yds Sz25
While most other ultralight spinning reel combo makes with high demanding marketing term in mind, the Okuma RTX30S Lightweight precisely made the users in mind. The quality component is smartly matched with the slim design with a touch of flare. One can easily get the idea of quality with this reel in their hand.
The carbon fiber outline assures the lightweight nature of this reel and made it strong and sturdy as well. The small size of comfort and durability makes it the Best micro spinning reel according to many editors.
This reel looks stunning with the black handle, black tail, red spool and some silver colored body parts. So, you do not have to worry about the design much. Rotor Equalizing System of this ultralight reel keeps everything in the place perfectly with giving a confident feel. Thanks for the excellent graphite frame of the Okuma RTX.
The machine-cut and double anodized spool keeps the body compact and adds line capacity. The line capacity of this reel is 220 yards of 6lb test braid.
This reel uses multi-disc and Japanese oiled felt drag system. Also, the drag system consists of 8 bearings. 7 stainless steel ball bearings and 1 instant anti-reverse roller bearing.
It includes ALG: Precision AlumiLite alloy main gear and oscillating gears. The gear ratio for this reel is 6.0:1. This ratio shows that it has a very fast retrieval capacity.
The forged aluminum designed handle is really sturdy and includes EVA grip. EVA grip assures very comfortably gripping.
- The reel is made of the highest quality material for longevity
- Comes with excellent design and black finish to look stunning
- 0:1 gear ratio provide faster drag speed
- 7 stainless steel ball bearings work effectively to provide smooth fishing
- The handle is sturdy enough to provide better comfort
- Built quality may not be liked by some users
The Okuma RTX30S Lightweight Spinning Reel is the last but not the least in our ultralight spinning reel reviews. If you give it a little, you will really appreciate its performance over everything else. The features are there to improve the user experience and exactly what the anglers will need.
With the decent price, you might not like its built quality at first. But then considering the weight and comfort in mind, then you have to think positively about this Okuma reel.
You have gone through the above best ultralight fishing reel review. So, you’ve gained pretty much idea about the fishing reel that suits you. Allocate your priorities and choose the best ultralight fishing reel that suits you.